Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sam's Birth Story






Sam was born via scheduled csection. We knew he was bigger than average due to an earlier ultrasound so we opted to plan on a scheduled csection. The morning of his birth, Ainsley had preschool so my mom and I took Ainsley to her class. I stayed for about an hour and then Tom came and picked me up. We drove to the hospital and checked in. We were anxious and excited knowing that in a few hours we would finally meet our new baby. We were especially anxious to find out the sex of the baby. Neither of us had any inclination what it might be and so it would be a big surprise.

Unlike Ainsley's csection where I was a nervous wreck the whole time, this experience was calm and wonderful. We sat in the triage room for about two hours waiting for everything to be prepared. Then I walked from the triage and climbed onto the operating table. It was a very casual setting. There were about 12 people that were present during the operation. I was alert and calm during the whole thing. Tom watched a lot more of the surgery and would tell me what was going on. They pulled the head out first, and Tom announced "Woah, there is your kid." I immediately asked, "What is it?" The doctor said, "We don't know yet." Then seconds later they pulled out the rest of the body and the doctor announced, "It's a BOY!" We were thrilled. He cried for a few seconds and then was calm the rest of the time. They put him on a table to be cleaned and weighed right next to me. It was wonderful and I got to watch the entire thing. His blood sugar was a little low so they immediately fed him a bottle. He was quiet and content the whole time.

We still hadn't decided on a name because we had a really hard time discussing names during the pregnancy. Even after nine months, we didn't have any clue what the name would be the morning of the birth. We had finally narrowed it down to about four boy names-we liked Henry, Samuel, Bretton, and Charlie. Going into the operating room we knew that if it was a girl it would be Bianca Sadie or Hallie Maree and either Bretton or Samuel Butler if it was a boy. When they pulled him out, I asked Tom what he looked like....a Bretton or a Samuel and he said a Samuel so we went with it. It was as simple as that.

This whole time, they were still stitching me up. The doctors gave Tom a little anatomy lesson and showed him my uterus, fallopian tubes, etc. as they were putting them back in place. I was the first in this hospital to be given bio-resorbable staples that would naturally dissolve on their own rather than the traditional metal staples that would have to be removed. A rep from the company was there to show the doctors how to use them. After I was all put back together, they wrapped Sam up and let me hold him as they pushed me back to the triage recovery room. Then we stayed in there for a couple of hours holding him and bonding with him. It was a wonderful birthing experience. I really enjoyed it because it was such a stark contrast to Ainsley's birth where I didn't feel apart of the birth at all. I was an emotional wreck during her birth since it was more of an emergency. After pulling her out, she had to be rushed to the NICU nurses to be suctioned out. I didn't even see her until she was wrapped up and then only to show her to me before they took her to the NICU. I didn't see her for two hours later. So we really appreciated how calmly and smoothly Sam's birth went.
The rest of the hospital stay was not as ideal. Sam did great and was a wonderful baby the entire time. I was the one who had difficulty. For some reason I could not keep food down. Every time I moved the bed up or down I would get nauseous. I threw up all the first day, then the second day I was fine. Then on the third day, I continued to throw up all day so I had to be re-hooked up to an IV. The fourth day was the same, and finally on the fifth day I seemed to get over my nausea. I was finally able to hold down lunch and so they released me that evening.

We've been home for a day now and it has been wonderful. Sam did great his first night. He slept about four hours at a time which allowed us to get a little sleep. He was great all day today and we are thrilled to all be home. Ainsley has been such a great big sister. She wants to help all the time, sometimes too much. She has had a few tantrums, mostly when she wants Mommy's attention and I am busy with the baby, but overall she seems to be doing well. Here are some pictures of Sam's first few days, we will post more pictures and updates as they come!







17 comments:

Laura said...

He is SUCH a cutie!! He seriously looks just like Ainsley. I'm glad he's been a good baby so far and that you are feeling better. I've heard about people throwing up lots after a c-section - something about the medicine they use during surgery. I'm so sorry it happened to you! But I'm even more glad that you were able to enjoy the birth experience. You've inspired Mike and me to not find out with our next one ... whenever that will be. :-) Thanks for sharing pictures and the story!

Lisa said...

Congrats! I'm glad you're whole little family is home now enjoying each other.

Koreena said...

He's so stinkin' precious!! Thanks for sharing his birth story. I love reading them! I'm glad that things went better this time and you felt more relaxed. I'm impressed Tom was able to stand the "anatomy lesson." I think Dan would throw up. LOL Sorry to hear that you couldn't keep things down, but I'm glad all is well now. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Cami said...

He kind of looks like Landon in some of the pictures. I can't wait to meet him and to see you guys! Love and miss you all!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great birth experience. When I saw you post about Sam the day he was born, you gave me baby fever bad. I had to mentally talk myself down because the window to have one before Germany has passed. How did you like the hospital? You'll be the pro when we make it back to Michigan. Can't wait to see more pics and hopefully see the little guy in a little over 9 months! Tell Ainsley that Brady misses her!

Ann-Marie said...

He is so so so darling! Absolutely handsome! What was his weight and length?

I'm sorry you were so sick after! YUCK! I hope that is gone for good.

Katherine said...

congratulations!!

Paige said...

I am glad this all went smoothly for you - except for the post delivery throwing up. He is so cute and I adore the monkey suit and hat he has on. Congratulations and enjoy this new little babe. He looks a lot like a Butler! Very cute!

TravandNat said...

What a cute little guy! I'm glad this birth experience was better than the last. My second was better too! I'm glad you're home and together as a family. There's nothing better than a new baby in the house! You guys sure make cute kids!

Katie said...

He looks just like Ainsley! Congratulations again!

Chelsea said...

Oh my gosh he is so stinkin cute and looks SO much like you and Ainsley!! I am so happy for you- and I'm so glad you had a better delivery than last- sorry about after though.. yuck! Love his name and just love that you have a little boy, they are so great. Hope you are all adjusting well
(p.s Braden had that same monkey outfit.. he wore it maybe twice considering it was a newborn size!)

Sally said...

I loved reading the birth story. Thanks for sharing! Congratulations to you and your family. What a sweet baby boy!

Sarah M said...

What a nice contrast to Ainsley's birth! He is quite the cutie. Hope you are feeling better, and adjusting well to the two kiddos. Take care of yourself!

Chelsey said...

He is adorable!! Congratulations and he does look just like Ainsley:) I'm glad everything went well and that he's done so well too!

Chrispy Critter said...

I am in LOVE! Congrats!!

Jedda said...

He looks like he fits right in! He's so cute! Congratulations!!!

jsfeatherstone said...

Beth! He's adorable! Wow. I am so glad you are finally feeling better after an awful hospital stay throwing up. Samuel is a gorgeous baby! Your kids are so cute. I am so happy for you.