Monday, October 12, 2009

Louisville, KY

This weekend we went down to Louisville, Kentucky to go to the temple with out ward. It was great because they provided babysitting and so Tom and I were able to go to a session together for the first time since moving here. After the temple trip, we decided to go into Louisville to explore. We decided to go to Churchill Downs where the Kentucky Derby is held. We were able to go on a tour of the facility. It was pretty impressive.


The tour guide told us that these seats sell for $5,800 on Derby day and the boxes up above sell for $20,000. But on a normal race day these seats sell for $3. Tom and I want to go back in November to see some races.
This is the winner's circle where the derby winning jockeys and horses get their awards

The track-the red post at the end is where they put the starting gate. The race is 1.25 miles long
They update this sign every year to show how long the race has been held. It has run every year for 135 years. But why does it say 1973 then? Well, they are filming a movie about Secreteriat starring Diane Lane and John Malkovich there all week. Secretariat won the Triple Crown in 1973. Look for the movie to come out next fall.
Tom and Ainsley in front of a statue of Aristides the first derby winner in 1875
Ainsley loved these painted horses and kept walking over to them while on our tour

Ainsley did really well on the 2 hour car ride home. It was our first car trip wihout a binkie and without her falling asleep in the carseat. But she did great!

4 comments:

Laura said...

What cute and fun pictures! I'm glad to hear that Ainsley was good for you in the car. I can't believe she's playing with that ball - I guess she's not so afraid of it anymore. I love the shades!

TravandNat said...

What a darling family picture! I'm so glad that you were able to go to the temple..I take that for granted, and need to go MORE!

Angie Nickle said...

How fun! I love having you guys as my back east virtual tour guides. And hey, that little Ainsley is so cute I just want to squeeze her...promise you'll let me someday?!

Jessica Whittaker said...

Looks like you guys are having a good time. Ainsley is getting so big.