Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Costco Date

One thing we really miss about Utah is Costco. When it first opened there, my dad used to take my mom there every Saturday and called it their "Costco Date" because he would treat my mom to the polish hot dog and drink for a $1.50. (Big spender) But it became a joke in our family, and Tom and I continued it when we got married. We would go to Costco almost every Saturday. We always had a routine-we would enter, Tom would ogle the cameras and tell me all about the latest upgrades. Then we would look at the clothing-maybe pick out a new dress shirt for Tom, and then cut over to the books. I would peruse the children's books and Tom would look at the photography, cookbooks, and other books that interested him. Sometimes we would walk over to the bakery where we would pick out our favorite baguettes before heading to browse the frozen food section for any new items we hadn't tried yet. We usually escaped Costcos in Utah with only one to three purchases. Then we would eat at the food court. It was always pepperoni pizza, coke, and a churro. We loved it.

Now that we are in Indiana, there aren't any Costcos close by. There are only two in the state and they are both about 70 miles away. Tom was needing new contacts and Ainsley was out of diapers, so we decided to make the day of it and make the long trek to our beloved Costco. Our membership expires in December so we decided to stalk up on all necessary items that we might need in the next year because we are not planning on renewing our membership. We were nostalgic as we shopped at the giant superstore, aware that it might be the last time we are there for awhile. And we left the store with the biggest bill we've ever had as well as the largest cartload ever. It was a good day. Sniff, sniff...Costco we'll miss you.
Ainsley is finally big enough to sit in the shopping cart without her heavy carseat. I dressed her in the cutest jean skirt today, but it didn't work well in the cart. We had to hike the skirt up so her legs could fit through the bars, but it created such a pooch around her belly that she couldn't sit up straight, so she sat in this pathetic slump the entire time. Occasionally she would fall to one side, and we would have to tip her upright again. She looked kinda miserable, but she was very well behaved and got tons of compliments. Unfortunately, some woman called her a boy... I knew she needed a hair bow today.

After our trip to Costco, we went to Japan Night hosted by the Asian Club at Kelley. Ainsley posed as a sumo, we had our names written in Japanese, and ate traditional cuisine. We had three kinds of sushi, shrimp, dumplings, rice, etc. It was delicious. There was a program afterwards, but Ainsley was tired and starting to cry so we decided to head home.

Tom is hoping to go to Japan in March for Spring Break. Each year, second year MBA students put together a trip to tour companies internationally. They will visit companies like Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, Toyota, Honda, etc. I am allowed to go with him, but I don't think I will because it would be a long time to be away from Ainsley. Hopefully, if everything works out though, Tom will be able to go. It would be the trip of a lifetime and I don't want him to miss out on that opportunity.

11 comments:

Chrispy Critter said...

Ainsly makes a much better Sumo wrestler than I did!

jsfeatherstone said...

Beth, that is HILARIOUS about costco. I had no idea you guys had such an attachment! I'm glad you stalked up. Jon and I are moving to Bountiful? Did I tell you that? If not, we need to chat. But yeah, we were thinking about buying a Costco membership but I'm afraid our credit card bill with shoot up!

Koreena said...

You're so brave to live in a place without Costco close by!! :)

TravandNat said...

I love Costco too..but I can't go there every week. I don't have that much self restraint to only purchase 1-3 things. There are so many wonderful things there that I end up with a cart full everytime!

I hate it when people call Addison a boy. It's so obvious that Ainsley is a girl..hello boys don't wear tights!! She's darling!

Luke and Marin said...

Beth I love the Costco story!
P.S. Thanks for the oil yesterday! :)

Bethany said...

I don't know what we would do without Costco...maybe save a little bit of money? Ainsley is so cute! She doesn't even come close to looking like a boy! Crazy people!

Jenner said...

i miss costco, especially their pizza.

Tara said...

This post left me nostalgic for when Jon and I would have "Costco Dates" on a regular basis! Here, the costco isn't too far away, just in Jersey, but I'd have to rent a car to go there and after that happens, it's just not worth what we would have saved! Oh I do miss costco, though!

Chelsea said...

I love Costco too, I'm sad that you have to say goodbye to it for awhile. We just went yesterday and I decided that there is no need to make lunch, just go to Costco around lunch time and eat their samples!
Oh and Ainsley is 100% girl, don't worry about what silly people say, seriously some people are clueless

Dave Jan Connor said...

Do boys wear socks with pink stripes? She looks nothing like a boy. She's adorable. We love costco too but rarely go because we can never get out of there without spending at least 100 bucks!

Sarah M said...

Ainsley looks soooo comfortable in the shopping cart he he!! I'm sorry about your costco membership. I don't know what I would do without ours. Good thing you stocked up though. Can't wait to see you again!!