Friday, June 12, 2009

Look What I Learned this Week...

On Wednesday, June 10 Ainsley learned to take her first steps on her own. The thing we've learned about Ainsley is that she is very cautious. She won't take risks or try things unless she knows she can do it. She learned to crawl up the stairs last week, but she took a tiny tumble (I was behind her to catch her) but it scared her and she hasn't dared to climb the stairs since. Since we know she is so cautious, we figured she would mostly likely not pull away from the furniture on her own to try to take her first steps. So we try to get her to try it on her own by holding her a few feet away from something and see if she will walk towards it. Usually she will just drop on her bum and crawl to it instead. But on Wednesday, I was trying to get her to practice during the day and she took about three steps on her own. When Tom came home from work I told him about it so we decided to try to see if she would walk in between us. She was a little reluctant at first but then started to enjoy it. She was so excited each time she made it across the room. She would even laugh every time she took a spill. It was so much fun to watch her excitement. Hopefully in the next few days we'll have a confidant walker!


Ainsley hasn't wanted to eat while Tom and I have dinner. She will just play with her food. So the last few days she is always starving and wants to eat right before bed. She loves yogurt but lately she won't let me feed her. She wants to do everything on her own. So last night, I gave her the spoon to see what would happen. She loved feeding herself. It got really messy but I figured she was going to bed and could be washed off. It was funny to watch her and I really started to laugh when she gave up on the spoon because it was too much work and just decided to use her hands. Sometimes you just have to ignore the mess and enjoy watching them try new things.

9 comments:

Cami said...

It looks like she's losing all the chub from her legs. She's getting so skinny and tall! Miss you guys!

Lisa said...

ainsley's so proud of herself...and she should be. wow! there's no stopping her now!

TravandNat said...

Good luck with a walker..it's a lot harder to keep track of them! :P You're a brave momma to let her feed herself. I need to take your advice, and just ignore the mess, and let her have fun, more often!

Koreena said...

So cute to see her walking. You're a braver mom than I letting her feed herself yogurt. I just know it'd be on the walls if I let Jossy do it! Maybe I'll have to let her try in the tub or something.

Laura said...

She is learning things so fast! That's awesome to see her walking and how excited she gets about it. I'm impressed at how she dipped her spoon - so cute! But it was even cuter when she drank it. :)

Jedda said...

She's got it! The food thing is funny. K did the same thing. Now if she can't get it herself she says, "help!"

Jenner said...

way to go ainsley. looks like you had a fun trip to nashville. we took the kids to a "Rib-Fest" the other day and thought of Tom. it was yummy. still haven't tried any cheerwine yet. missing you guys!

James and Melissa said...

We loved the videos! Hannah couldn't get enough of watching Ainsley! She's a great little walker! And I keep telling myself that someday Hannah won't spit out her food every time it makes it to her mouth. I guess there is hope!

Bethany said...

So cute when they start to walk. I am impressed she performed so well for the camera. My kids never do that.