Thursday, June 4, 2009

Baby Signing Time!

Over the past few months I have been trying to use sign language with Ainsley in the hopes to eliminate tantrums in the future. Our public library has a wonderful selection of signing movies so we check one out every couple of weeks or so. She gets so excited to watch it and they are beginning to pay off. She is really beginning to use sign language on her own and it is so fun to watch her communicate since she has only mastered about five words (Mom, Dad, Yeah, Uh-Oh, and Okay). The other night we were testing Ainsley to see which signs she knew. It was so cute that we pulled out the camera to try to capture them. Unfortunately, she didn't perform quite as well once we started recording, but here it is:



These are all of the signs that Ainsley knows:
milk
more
all done
bye-bye
bath
sleep
please
thank you
banana
cracker
wash hands
soap
bird
blow "kisses"

She also can answer, "How old are you?" and point to some of her body parts (eyes, nose, toes, mouth) She hasn't quite mastered walking on her own yet but she can walk while holding one of our hands. She is getting so big and it is so fun to watch her learn and grow each day!

11 comments:

Koreena said...

Such a smart girl! I can't get Jossy to sign anything except more, and she just claps for that. (Close enough, right?)

TravandNat said...

That's pretty much one of the cutest things I have seen all day! She's a smart girl! I really missed the boat on the signing time videos. I guess it's not too late? Or maybe it is!

Lisa said...

i can tell she's the daughter of a TEACHER! what a smart girl you have! tyler can only sign more and eat....such a boy!

Dave and Catherine said...

She's so smart!

Jon said...

ahhhhh Ainsley is SO good at sign! I love that she says she is one. Your vacations looked like so much fun. Ainsley is SO cute. I am loving that little brown hat!

Chelsea said...

What a little Smartie!! You are such a good mother. Blake knows a couple signs but will have to steal some from Ainsley- She is darling

Laura said...

Wow - I'm impressed! I had no idea she could sign all those things! It's impressive too that she understands everything you are saying and even knows how old she is. She's learning so fast!

Jedda said...

That class we did together is paying off-she's great at them!

James and Melissa said...

That's amazing! She's a genius! Is it so fun that she can really communicate with you?!

Sarah M said...

I thought that was the cutest thing ever!!! She is adorable. I can't believe how smart she is. I've been trying to work with Dawson on signs, but he hasn't picked them up yet--he still has time though--I just think that he is much more interested in moving. He's all about getting into everything :) Ainsley is such a smarty already!

Casey said...

That's amazing!!! She is so smart and so cute!!...Im keeping a mental note of this for my future kids! Hope your summer is going well so far! :)