Friday, August 27, 2010

What have we been up to in Michigan?

Tom and I have been in Michigan for over a month now. We have met lots of great people and are getting to know our way around. We have also done some fun things. These pictures are not in correct order of sequence, but at leas Last week we attended Detroit's "Dream Cruise." It is a huge car show. Thousands of classic and luxury cars spend the entire week "cruising" Woodward Boulevard and people come from all over to watch. People set up lawn chairs and watch it like it is a parade. It is a throwback to the 60's when kids used to cruise Main Street. We saw some an amazing cars.

I had never seen so many corvettes in my life! There were hundreds!
Ainsley spent the entire time on her "pretend cell phone."
We've also spent a lot of time at lakes. There are hundreds of small lakes around where we live. Tom's cousin moved to Ann Arbor for medical residency and I've had fun hanging out with his wife and kids. Tricia took me to this lake near her house called Indpendence Lake. It had a great private beach and splash pad to play in. Ainsley loved playing at the beach. The water was so warm and shallow, she could walk far out into the lake to play. We've been there twice and it has been so much fun.
Ainsley loves playing with Sydney
Second cousins-Sydney, Owen, and Ainsley
Ainsley sharing cheetos

We have also attended a lot of playdates with our ward. We meet at a different park each week. This particular week we met at another small lake which is about a five minute drive from our house to play at the beach. Ainsley loved building sand castles and playing in the water.

When Annie was here helping us get settled, we drove to downtown Detroit and walked along the river front. The towers on the other side of the river are in Canada...this is the closest Ainsley will be to leaving the country for quite awhile.
We took Ainsley to the local carnival. But just like her experience at the Strawberry Days Carnival in PG this summer, she would not go on any rides. So we had some frozen lemonade and fried food. Ainsley played a fishing game where she won a small doll set. She loved it.



Our good friends from IU, the Newtons also moved to Michigan, but about two hours from where we live. They came down one Saturday and so we took the kids to a nearby park/petting zoo. They loved feeding the goats and seeing all the animals. It was so fun to see some old friends again!



Ainsley and I have been going on lots of walks lately. We discovered this cute path near our house that goes by three different ponds and through forested areas. We brought bread to feed the ducks a couple of times and were swarmed. Now everytime we go past the pond they immediately head over to us. Ainsley is a little afraid of them, she usually tells them, "Geese, No hurt Ainsley"



7 comments:

anniereese said...

Looks like you guys are having fun. Nice stroller!

Chrispy Critter said...

I love Ainsley's cell phone! I am curious if she stores it in the same place her momma does? ;)

Jedda said...

It was a blast to see you guys! We need to get together again soon ;)

Koreena said...

Sounds like things are going well! It really looks like a fun place to be. :)

Lindsay said...

Great update. Aren't you having a blast...it's hard but fun to start over in a new place. The lakes are beautiful and I'm sure a blast

Laura said...

I'm glad you are enjoying your time there - the lakes look awesome! I LOVED seeing you this week and wish we could get together more often. I'm SOOOOO glad you could come down and hang out!! I just wish I would have taken pictures of us and not just the girls. :-) Oh well.

Luke and Marin said...

I love reading/hearing about all of the fun things you're doing!! It was great to talk to you. Love and miss you!!