Friday, December 12, 2008

Not Much to Report

I try to post at least once a week, but I haven't had much to post lately. Tom has been so busy studying for finals, that we haven't done much. It was his birthday yesterday and poor guy had to spend the whole day at school cramming for today's first final. I did manage to get him to take an hour break and have lunch with me at Olive Garden. It wasn't much but we are planning on celebrating our b-days together when we get to Utah.

I was looking through my folders of pictures and realized I never posted about my sewing experiment. My mother gave me her old sewing machine when I moved and I've always wanted to make something for Ainsley. My mom made me tons of beautiful dresses growing up, including some of my high school dance dresses and bridesmaids skirts. I aspire to be like her, so one day while I was at Hobby Lobby I bought some fabric and a pattern. But I didn't look at all of the other things I might need (brown thread, snaps, ric-rac, pink thread, etc.) So unfortunately it took me 4 trips to Hobby Lobby to complete the dress, but here how it went:
The fabric and pattern
Sewing on my mom's very old machine
Ainsley trying it on half way through

The finished product
Trying it on, as you can see it's pretty big. She won't be able to wear it until next summer.

10 comments:

Koreena said...

Even though it's too big, it looks great! I couldn't follow a pattern for the life of me. Good job!

Jedda said...

That is a rockin' red sewing machine-so cool! I have my Mom's old one too. But it isn't cool red like yours. I am totally impressed with your skills. We really should get together more often!

Lisa said...

woah. girl...i had no clue that you're a seamstress too! that's one great looking dress. can't wait to see all the other things that you make for ainsley.

Whitney said...

Very Very cute! Good Job!

TravandNat said...

I love that first picture of Ainsley! What a doll!

I'm very impressed with the sewing! I almost failed out of high school sewing class..I haven't learned anything since then either! I love the dress!

Laura said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! It looks great! Yes, I purchased my headbands through Jedda - she has ALL kinds of colors. I only purchased white, black, and pink, but we're having fun with them!

Jessica Brown said...

nice work on the sewing project! i'm impressed.

Chrispy Critter said...

All 4 of the riches said OHHHHHHH at the same time! That means Ainsley is pretty dang cute!

Sarah M said...

Fantastic job on the dress! Making clothes is much more fun for girls, so I'll save that obstacle for later:) Keep it up!

James and Melissa said...

You're amazing! The dress is adorable! Happy birthday today and a late happy birthday to Tom! We can't wait to see you guys next week!