
Over the Thanksgiving break, Tom and I went to Chicago. It was nice to get away for a few days and to spend time together. Chicago is only about 4 hours away. We left Sunday night and stayed until Wednesday evening. It was a great trip. Here are some of the fun things that we did.
We took Ainsley to the Shedd Aquarium. Besides being packed, it was a lot of fun. There were tons of fish, sharks, and animals from all over the world. We didn't get to see the whales, dolphins, or penquins because their exhibit was closed for the winter. Ainsley enjoyed looking at the fish, and would always stick her hand on the glass trying to touch them. It was cute.

Shedd Aquarium


Giant Spider Crabs-they were scary looking!

The Sears tower is in the background, but it was kinda foggy that day
Next we went to Millenium Park. It has a huge outdoor theater for concerts and plays. We took pictures in front of "The Bean" statue. Then we walked down Michigan Avenue to go shopping. We passed the historic Water Tower which was one of the only buildings to survive the Great Chicago Fire. We ended at the American Girl store, which I had been looking forward to all week. I was a huge American Girl fan as a kid. My friend Steff and I spent hours playing with our twin Samantha dolls. While at the store, I wanted to buy everything for Ainsley because I knew how much fun I had with them as a kid. We got her a few souvenirs:)


The Bean

Our reflection in the Bean

The Water Tower

At the American Girl store, standing in front of the two dolls that I had as a kid-Addy and Samantha
On Tuesday, we drove up to Glenview to go to the Chicago Temple. Since we had Ainsley in the car, we had to take turns. We are actually in the Lousiville, KY temple district but that is still 2 hours away from where we live. We never realized how lucky we were in Utah to be 5 minutes away from a temple. We wish we had gone more when it was so close, because now we really miss it.

After the temple, we went to Navy Pier which stretches out onto Lake Michigan. It was gorgeous. We wish we could have seen it in the summer when all of the shops were open and they shoot fireworks out onto the lake. But it was still fun. Afterwards we went to DUE, the sequel to UNO pizza to have real Chicago deep dish pizza. Then we finished it off with a sundae from Ghiradelli. It was delicious! We did more shopping on Michigan Avenue and then went back to the hotel to take Ainsley swimming. The indoor pool was a little cold but she loved it.



On our last day, we went to the Art Institute of Chicago museum. It was amazing. Growing up, my family always played a game called "Masterpiece" that had been my mom's game as a kid. Anyway, it you buy and sell famous works of art. As we walked through the museum, I realized that every painting in the game came from this musuem. So I had a fun time picking out the works of art that I knew from this silly game. Here were a few:

American Gothic

Night Hawks

This Renoir was always my favorite in the game-my sisters and I would always fight over it.

Mary Cassat's "Mother Bathing Child"

Seurat's "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte"
We came home to celebrate Thanksgiving with all our new friends in Bloomington. We got together at a clubhouse to have dinner. There was tons of food and pies and although we were away from family, we had a great time!

12 comments:
how FUN! we love chicago and you definitely did some of our favorite activities! american girl store? art institute? shopping? LOVE IT. looks like a blast!
What a fun packed trip! I went to Chicago once as a teenager and made it to the aquarium but nothing else that you guys saw. Now I feel like I missed out!
2 hours from a temple? That's hard with a baby! I'll be sure to appreciate Mt. Timp more now.
the only time i've ever been to chicago was just passing through the airport on my trips across the country. looks like chicago is a fun place to visit. glad you and tom made it to the temple too.
WOW! It looks like you had a really good time! I love your new template...it was my favorite one!
We are jealous, of course :) It would have been fun to see you there. You did so many things. I am even more excited to go! Fun photos!
That looks so fun!
What a fun week!! We would love to spend some real time in Chicago--what a blast! We can't wait to see you guys later this month!!
Oh What Fun! Your husband does fun things with you..things that girls would enjoy. My husband is really only into sports and food. Count yourself lucky that your husband enjoys a little culture! :P
I'm impressed that you made time for the temple! What an awesome example, and reminder that I need to go to the one that is 5 minutes from me!!
Don't you just love Chicago?! Looks like so much fun!
Looks like you guys had a great time! I love the new look of the blog. And those crab fish really do look scary!
Vacations are sooo nice. We actually took a 4 day trip down to Cali, since Creighton had taken the weekend off for the baby's blessing. Looks like you guys had fun. When are you coming down again?? We will be here until after Christmas, so let's definitely get together-we could do lunch or something!
How fun Bethie- sick crab... way to scary. I was in Chicago for a couple hours when i was coming home from Ghana and it seemed so fun i wanted to spend more time there. Looks like you had a fun time!!!
Post a Comment