Yesterday we took our first train ride into the city. We've been to the city a couple of times before moving here, so we thought we'd just spend the day getting familiar with the public transportation system so we'd know the easiest way to get in/out of the city while we are here. Ainsley was so excited to ride the "L train." We caught the train close to our house and it took us right downtown. Then we walked to Rick Bayless' restaurant Xoco for lunch. It is a Mexican cantina that is so popular that the line was all the way outside. We waited for an hour in line, but it was well worth it. The food was amazing, especially the churros and mexican chocolate shot. We are already planning our next trip back!After Xoco, we walked to the Magnificent Mile. Ainsley got pretty "dizzy" or tired of walking and started complaining. To keep her motivated, I told her we were going to see Rapunzel's tower (the Chicago Waterworks tower). She was pretty excited to see it. We stopped by several shops on Michigan Avenue including the Disney store, Lego Store, American Girl Store, Hershey's, and Ghiradelli. Ainsley loved the Disney store. She's never been to one before and so for for a little girl who loves everything Princess, it was a dream come true. We let her pick out a Belle doll for her bff Ella and then got her a Mulan doll for Christmas. We also let her pick out her own Princess nightgown in order to solve a pj issue we've had since moving here....everynight since we've been back from UT, she has wanted to sleep in her winter footie pajamas. It is so hot and she wakes up sweaty everyday. We've tried unsuccessfully to get her to wear other pjs and finally resorted to hiding her fleece pjs. So when we saw the light Princess nightgowns, we knew this would convince her to wear something lighter this summer. She picked a Belle nightgown and absolutely loves it. She talked about it all the way home on the train. She put them on immediately after getting home that night, and first thing after getting home from church at 12:30 today. We may have to fight her to take them off from now on:)
This side of the Waterworks building, Ainsley named "Belle's castle"
"Rapunzel's tower"
The second time we came to Chicago, Ainsley pushed this double Bitty Baby stroller around the American Girl store...she was only one years old at the time. Two years later, she still loved it and pushed it all around. She wanted to play with all of the Bitty Baby stuff and was sad she couldn't play with the displays too.
Lego Store
At the Lego Store, they had kids helping build blocks to assemble a 12 foot sea serpent. Daddy helped her assemble the lego block following specific instructions. Then they turned in her block for approval from the Master Builder and afterwards she got a certificate stating she helped build the serpent. I wonder if the next time we come if it will be completed.
Sam was amazing the entire day! He never cried once, he slept well in the stroller or on the train and was content to ride in my Moby wrap. Hope all trips to the city go so easy with him!
Showing off her Belle nightgown
The last couple of nights, Ainsley will call for me after I've tucked her in and inform me she needs more friends to sleep with. This is what she looked like tonight-there was barely room for her in the bed:) She had Hello Kitty, Utah Bear, Belle, Puppy, Valentine's Puppy, Build-a-Bear teddy, and Minnie Mouse all in bed with her.
Everynight I lay with Ainsley while we listen to music on her cd player. Tonight my brother called while I was laying with her so I left the room for a few minutes. Ainsley was in bed when I left...when I got back, I found her with her light on dancing in her room. It reminded of me what my sister Andrea and I used to do when we shared a room when I was five years old. We used to get out of bed, turn on our tape player and dance on our heart shaped rug like it was a stage. We would take turns and alternate after each song. We would even put on different outfits. If we heard our parents coming down the hall, we would run and jump back in bed and pretend to be asleep. I have a feeling Ainsley is going to be the same way...when I caught her tonight, I just laughed and grabbed the camera...here it is (notice Sammy is sleeping in his crib the whole time:):
You wanted to be at Biltmore and here I am wanting to be in Chicago. We love it there because it's so much like Pittsburgh. We can't wait to make it back there once we settle for good.
I LOVED the video! I bet my girl will be doing the same things in a couple of years. Glad you enjoyed your day in Chicago. How's your new place and your new ward?
3 comments:
You wanted to be at Biltmore and here I am wanting to be in Chicago. We love it there because it's so much like Pittsburgh. We can't wait to make it back there once we settle for good.
I LOVED the video! I bet my girl will be doing the same things in a couple of years. Glad you enjoyed your day in Chicago. How's your new place and your new ward?
Hannah couldn't get enough of watching Ainsley in her Belle dress! What a fun day in Chicago! Love you tons and miss you like crazy!
Post a Comment