If you have any great bread recipes you would like to recommend, let me know! I am always looking for a fun new recipe to try!
Thursday, January 27, 2011
Projects to keep me busy in this cold Detroit Winter!
During the month of December I worked on a lot of fun projects I wanted to share. I had to wait until after Christmas since most of them were Christmas presents. Here are some of the things I worked on. I made an advent calendar using mini muffin tin and magnet cards. Ainsley would pull off the number and find a treat inside each day.
Everytime Tricia and I get together we do a craft together. She taught me how to make designs using Freezer Paper stenciling. I cut out the images on freezer paper then painted them with fabric paint. So I made these onesies for some friends' baby shower.
My mom's scrapbooking company came out with a new tool called the iRock. It is a handheld tool that heats up and melts jewels onto fabric or paper. Kinda like the old "Be-dazzler" infomercial you used to see. I've had a lot of fun using it in my scrapbooking and bows. Here I made a 'Hello Kitty' onesie for a friend.
For Christmas, I made my nephews this quiet book. It was similar to the one I made Ainsley last year but in some ways I think it turned out cuter. I learned a lot of things from Ainsley's and I was able to improve upon them. I used thicker felt so things wouldn't stretch or rip off the pages. Ainsley's has already started to fall apart and it needs to last through all our kids, because I don't want to have to make another one! (Unfortunately when I try to upload the pics, they automatically turn sideways and I can't figure out why, so you'll just have to turn your head to get the idea;)






My latest project has been learning to bake bread. I aspire to be like my friends Chris and Tanya who are pro-chefs at their houses. I decided to try to learn how to make homemade bread instead of buying it at the store. Tom bought me a 50 pound bag of bread flour at Costco in November and challenged me to finish it before we moved next July. It's only been two months and I am already half way through the bag. We may have to buy another one before we move! I have tried many different recipes of both wheat bread and white. It's been a fun project and Ainsley loves to help. I make two loaves every Monday (it is also laundry day and the heat from the dryer helps the bread raise in my cold apartment:) My favorite wheat bread recipe came from my friend Tanya, I don't have any pictures-but here is the link. Tom and I have had a lot of fun experimenting making breadsticks, pizza crust, rolls, breadbowls, and different types of breads. Here are just a few that we have tried that we really like.
This is Martha Stewart's White bread and cinnamon bread recipe. The cinnamon bread makes excellent french toast...almost reminded me of Kneaders, which I have missed so much!
No-Knead Artisan bread-super easy and but you have to plan ahead considering it has to raise for about 20 hours. But it is so worth it!
If you have any great bread recipes you would like to recommend, let me know! I am always looking for a fun new recipe to try!
If you have any great bread recipes you would like to recommend, let me know! I am always looking for a fun new recipe to try!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow Beth, impressive!
I'm so impressed! I've been making bread too! I love all the kinds you've been trying! Your projects are amazing! I just heard a trick with the quiet books: use pellon instead of felt. It's thicker (and a little pricier) but holds up forever! I think you would like it :)
You've been busy! I love the muffin tin - I'll have to remember that one for next year. And I love your quiet book!
So which bread recipe is your favorite? Your bread looks fabulous - I can't get mine to rise so well. I suppose practice makes perfect, right? :-)
Post a Comment