Day 1-Wednesday, Nov. 25:After we went to Gettysburg, PA Tom and I drove down to Washington DC. Our good friends the Luke and Marin Coltrin who are also MBA students in our ward, drove down to DC from a roadtrip through NY. It was so fun to meet up with them. We all stayed in a hotel just blocks from the National Mall. The first day, we decided to head to Georgetown. We shopped the quaint streets and toured the campus. Then we stopped by Georgetown Cupcake to get a delicious snack. We had to wait about 30 minutes in line, but it was well worth it. They were amazing. Then we walked to the White House. We took pictures in front and then went to the Visitor's Center. Afterwards, Luke and Marin headed back to the hotel to put James down, and Tom and I walked along the National Mall and then visited the American Indian Museum. Then we met back up with the Coltrins for dinner at our hotel. We stayed at a Marriott Residence and they had a Thanksgiving dinner at the hotel. It ended up being our only Thanksgiving dinner so we were glad we got it for free:)
Day 2, Thursday Nov. 26: Since it was Thanksgiving Day, most places were closed in DC. We were able to visit the Smithsonian museums though. I would have thought that they would be empty on a national holiday, but we were wrong. They were packed. First we went to the National Gallery of Art. Then we walked down to the American History Museum. This museum has been completely renovated since the last time I was in DC (only 2 years ago). It was so much different. We saw a lot of interesting things including the First Lady's Ball gowns, Julia Child's kitchen, pop culture memorabilia such as the Ruby Red slippers and Kermit the Frog. We also toured a Lincoln Exhibit, Americans at War Exhibit, Transportation Exhibit, etc. We were a little disappointed that we didn't see the Nauvoo Sun Stone that used to be at the museum...we don't know if it was there and we just missed it, or if it is no longer on display. After touring the museums, we ate dinner at the American Indian museum. Then we went to see some of the National Monuments at night. We went to the new Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial. It is located right along the water and you can see the Lincoln, Jefferson, and Washington monuments lit up across the river. It was beautiful. Then Tom and I drove to the Lincoln Memorial.
Day 3, Friday Nov. 27-The next morning, we got up early and walked up to the United States Capitol Building. We met our Luke and Marin there and went on a tour of the building. We saw the new visitor's entrance, the Rotunda, and the Hall of Statues. The tour doesn't take you through any of the House chambers anymore. My good friend Lesly had let me borrow her copy of "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. I read it aloud to Tom all the way to DC. So the whole time we were at the Capitol, we kept joking around pointing out all of the things that Dan Brown had talked about in the novel. After we visited the Capitol, we walked to "Old Ebbit's Grille" for lunch. It was delicious. Then Tom and I went to the National Archives to see the Declaration of Independence and the Constitutuion. I was suprised at how faded the Declaration was. It is sad, the signatures are almost completly gone. Afterward, we met up with the Coltrins again at "Good Stuff Eatery" a hamburger joint owned by a Top Chef contestant, Chef Spike. We had to wait forever because they mixed up our order but the food was delicious. We are still talking about that marshmallow shake...yum!
4 comments:
We had tons of fun with you guys!!!!
What an AWESOME trip! I am jealous!
I hope your blog book turns out beautifully! Last year mine consumed my life. I am not really looking forward to starting 2009, because then I'll have no life again!
Hi Beth! It's been a long time!
I just found your blog... very cute! I had to comment on your D.C. post - it's "home" to me now.
Hope all is well with you and your darling family!
-Tiff
Greg and I looooove DC!! And you got some of the best cup cakes ever!! So jealous. We are glad you are doing well, and excited to see you this week!
Post a Comment