After we got home from the Rhine River we had a couple of days in Hildesheim. So I took my parents to Schloss Marienburg. We went on the tour of the inside then we wanted to climb the tower. Tom and I hadn't done this yet, but sadly they don't allow children up at the top. So I stayed with the kids at the bottom while my parents climbed the tower. Ainsley and Sam had fun playing in the rocks while we waited. After we saw the castle, I took them on the Rose Tour of Hildesheim. I forgot to snap pictures. We were lucky and had a beautiful day though...probably the only day of sunshine my dad had while in Germany.
On Saturday, we got up early and caught the train to Berlin. I had pre-booked tickets to tour the dome of the Reichstag. They give you an audio tour that teaches you about the history of the building and the city. It also had a beautiful view of the city.
After touring the Reichstag, we toured the city. We saw the Brandenburg Gate, Berliner Dom, Checkpoint Charlie, etc. After seeing the sights, we met up with my mom's two sisters Linda and Sharon and two of their friends. They had also come to Europe. They started in Amsterdam and then came to Germany for a few days. We made plans to meet up with them the following day so they could come home with us to Hildesheim.
On Sunday morning, my dad had to fly home to Utah. Tom, my mom, and I went to Charlottenburg, the largest surviving palace in Berlin. This is the palace of the first Prussian Emperor, King Friedrich and his wife Charlotte Sophie, which the palace is named after. We had a minor dispute about the baby carrier with the guards when we first entered the palace. The guards at the entrance said I could carry Sam in my backpack carrier since we couldn't take the stroller in. But in every room, the guards would come over and talk to me about how I wasn't allowed to wear a backpack in the palace for fear that I might bump into things. I would tell them the front guards had said it was ok. Some had no problem with it and would let me go into the next room. But by the six or seventh room, this was getting old and finally one stubborn and rude female guard would not let me pass unless I took the backpack off. Needless to say, this put us all in a bad mood for the next little bit. I did, and had to carry Sam in a tiny front babycarrier they provided. He was way too big for it, and it was heavy. But we made the best of the situation and ended up enjoying the rest of the palace. It was beautiful and very ornate. After seeing both sections of the palace including the new wings, we walked outside to see the palace grounds. There was a beautiful pond and fountains. Then we had to quickly walk back to the Sbahn to meet up with my aunts and catch our train back to Hildesheim
No comments:
Post a Comment