Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy Halloween!

On Friday, we decided to go to our city's "Trunk-Or-Treat" event. It was held at the Public Works building. Businesses from around town decorated their vehicles and provided all the treats and prizes. It was a slow line to trick-or-treat, but it was a lot of fun. Ainsley dressed as a "Good Witch" and Sam was a "Dragon." They looked really cute. We met up with the Carlstons. The girls had a lot of fun together. Mike dressed up like a Beaver. It was pretty funny, people kept waving and saying hello to him. A couple of people even asked to take pictures with him.
On Halloween Day, it was my turn to teach our little preschool. It was the letter H, so we did H is for Halloween and Haunted House. We made paper sack haunted houses. For our activity, Laura and I planned a Halloween lunch for everyone. The guys even came home on their lunch break to have Halloween lunch with us. The girls loved it. Then we headed home for naps to prepare for trick-or-treating that night. Ainsley didn't fall asleep until late in the afternoon, because I knew we would be up late, I let her nap as long as possible then woke her up. It was not the best idea...we were in a hurry and she didn't have time to adequately adjust to being awake so she was a huge grump! She had a tantrum as we tried to get her costume on. She refused to be a witch like she had for trunk-or-treating. Because I was desperate for her to stop crying and to hurry and get out the door, I asked her what she wanted to be. She replied "Cinderella" so we immediately put on her play dress up. Not exactly the Halloween costume we had planned, but she ended up looking really cute.
We met the Carlstons in the parking lot and went trick-or-treating in the neighborhood behind our complex. We pushed Sam in the stroller. He was a happy little guy for most of the night. Towards the end, he started to get fussy so I carried him. Ainsley loved trick-or-treating "to the houses" she called it. We were amazed at how brave and grown-up she seemed. She and Ella wanted to go up to the doors themselves. Several times, she would turn around and tell me, "Stay here mom, I want to do it by myself." She had a blast and could have kept going all night, but it was getting cold so we headed home. Since we hadn't had dinner because of her meltdown, we were starving and so we decided to go out to dinner at Wendy's. When we got home, we called the Reese's over skype so they could see the kids costumes. Then we counted and sorted all of Ainsley's candy. She got a ton. But she is very good at sharing and let mom and dad have lots of pieces.
Last summer, Aunt Annie went to Chinatown in San Fransisco. She bought these outfits for the kids. On Sunday, we put them on them and asked Ainsley if she wanted to wear them trick-or-treating. We couldn't convince her, but they looked pretty cute don't you think?

5 comments:

Katie said...

I love Sam's costume...that's what our Sam was too! I can't believe how big Ainsley is getting! We miss you guys!

Cami said...

I love the picture of Sam and Ainsley looking at each other while in their "Mulan" outfits... so stinkin adorable!

Luke and Marin said...

Cute, cute, cute!! Sam has gotten so big, what a beautiful boy!

Jedda said...

Sooo fun! What a fun lunch celebration! And you gotta love the costume switch. K wore a different "ballerina costume" every time we went somewhere. Miss you guys!!

Chrispy Critter said...

So excited about Germany!!! So fun to see you and Laura together!!! Your kids are beautiful!!! Miss you!!